Pages

Monday, January 28, 2013

The Metamorphosis

This was something that came from my heart for the sister God gave me - Pam. I am so proud of her, so proud of the obstacles she has overcome and continues to overcome. She has been my very best friend, sister, and rock for over 30 years.
 

 
 
The Metamorphosis:
Teri Humphreys
November 2009

I had never seen anything like it.
It was almost regal the way that it hung there.
There was undeniable strength in the cord that kept it connected to the tree,
And yet somehow I sensed that it was not just a simple cord, but a lifeline.
 
I had to look twice at the complexity of this amazing structure.
It was a cocoon of sorts, I assumed, but it was so thick as if there was layer after layer that made up its walls.
It was as if the layers were acting as armor… a shelter.

I could not help but to stop and take a second look…then a third.
There was a beauty in this creature that mesmerized the eye.
There appeared to be a strength that defied reason.
Yet, at the same time, there was a tremendous sadness that overwhelmed me as I stepped closer to examine its composition.

Day after day others went by.
Nobody could simply pass by without lingering for a moment to watch this cocoon in amazement.
Yes, there was life in this shell, but day after day the layers remained unchanged.

I continued to watch, mostly from a distance.
I watched as people passed by.
There were some people who took a moment to care, even took a moment to whisper a word of encouragement.
Then it would happen.
A layer of the cocoon would seem to vanish.
Each new layer revealed was more beautiful than the last.

Sadly, at times, I watched in horror –
A sense of helplessness overwhelming me as there were people who lingered, but not to encourage… only to hurt.
The layers that love had let fall away seemed to double as they were built back up,
Intent on protecting the beautiful creature within.

There was pain, that was without a doubt.
But, just as sand makes the pearl shine with beauty,
There was no doubt that somehow the pain was making this being more beautiful and stronger.
 
Then one day as I watched, it started.
The change.
It was slow and some of the layers did not come off easily.
The beauty.
It was more and more amazing as each layer came off.
The strength.
It was as if the life inside actually became stronger as the weight of each layer was removed.

The most amazing day of all was the day the butterfly emerged.
The metamorphosis.
I never knew a living being could be so exquisite.
It was as if each painful layer of the cocoon had only served to add color and magnificence to her wings;
The determination to survive added power to her strength.
 
Day by day it is as if the metamorphosis continues.
I watch the beauty continue to develop and
The strength continue to mature.
Never again will this butterfly be hidden in the walls of a cocoon!

Fly free butterfly – you have earned your wings!
Show off your beauty and live in the power of your strength.

No comments:

Post a Comment