Pages

Friday, February 1, 2013

Some thoughts on Hope

Psalms 146:5 - Happy is he that hath the God of Jacob for his help, whose hope is in the Lord his God:
____________________________________________________________________

Again, as I sit here with plenty of time on my hands, random thoughts often roll through my head.  Today I was reading verses about hope and my mind started wandering (of course).  I jotted down some different thoughts that I had about hope - just those random thoughts that ran barefooted through my head leaving little footprints.  After I spent some time thinking, daydreaming and daydreaming some more, I spent some more time reading some great verses about hope, hopefully reminding myself of a few good promises. 

______________________________________________________________________

Thoughts about hope:

If hope were a tangible object, what would it look like?  What would it feel like if you could touch it? 

People always say that we should hold onto hope.  How do you hold it?  Is it like holding that string on a helium balloon that keeps the balloon from floating away?  Is it like holding the string on a kite  - the one that tethers the kite to the earth?  Is holding onto hope like holding onto the chains of a swing so that you don't fall?  Is holding onto hope like a child holding on tight as their daddy swings them into the air or gives them a piggy back ride? 

Sometimes holding onto hope is more like a drowning man clinging to that life preserver, not sure if he will make it to shore or not.  Sometimes holding onto hope feels more like balancing on a tight rope with nothing below you to catch you if you fall. 

Sometimes hope is only a feeling or a longing in our mind for what we want so badly.  Sometimes hope is the only thing that keeps us focused while facing the impossible. 

Sometimes hope is merely a wish... like fairy dust being scattered by the wind. 

Other times hope is like a kite soaring through the air.  It dips and turns, then glides smoothly, as it rises majestically towards the sky.  As it ascends, the force of the pressure around it actually makes it more spectacular in flight.

A soothing peacefulness, yet mystical wonder, sweeps over the viewer as they stand in awe of its graceful beauty.  The beauty of hope, like the beauty of a kite in flight.

-------
Just a few things I was reminded of today as I took some time to read about hope:

We should never give up on hope.   Proverbs 13:12 - Hope deferred maketh the heart sick: but when the desire cometh, it is a tree of life.

Hope is invisible, it cannot be seen.  It must be felt within the heart.   Romans 8:24 - .....But hope that is seen is not hope: for what a man seeth, why doth he yet hope for?

Hope requires patience.  Romans 8:25 - But if we hope for that we see not, then do we with patience wait for it.

Hope anchors our soul.  Hebrews 6:19 - Which hope we have as an anchor of the soul, both sure and stedfast,

Hope strengthens our faith in the Lord.  Lamentations 3:24 - The Lord is my portion, saith my soul; therefore will I hope in him.












No comments:

Post a Comment